| ||If you have any feedback on how we can make our new website better please do contact us. We would like to hear from you.|| ||
WHAT IS SKILLS DEVELOPMENT?
A fully skilled employee is an employee who has obtained the necessary formal qualifications, experience and who has been blessed with the inherent talent to perform a certain job in a certain profession.
Therefore Skills Development is the development and support of individuals through formal qualifications and experience in their chosen profession.
WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THE SKILLS DEVELOPMENT ACT?
The purpose of the Skills Development Act of 1998 is to develop the skills of the South African workforce and to improve the quality of life of workers and their prospects of work. The Skills Development Levies Act of 1999 states that every employer must pay a skills development levy each month.
WHAT IS PIVOTAL TRAINING?
"PIVOTAL" is an acronym for Professional, Vocational, Technical and Academic Learning Programs that results in a qualification or part of a qualification on the National Qualifications Framework.
"PIVOTAL" includes Learnerships, Apprenticeships, Workplace Experience, Recognition of Prior Learning and Skills Programs.
"PIVOTAL excludes Internships and Graduate Development Programs, as they have already received their qualification.
[TRAINING in terms of PIVOTAL must be on the NQF]
WHAT IS WORK INTEGRATED LEARNING?
If it forms part of your qualification, where you must do practical work to receive your degree, certificate or diploma it is seen as "work integrated learning."
HOW WILL REBATES WORK GOING FORWARD?
- PIVOTAL GRANTS = 39.60%
- DISCRETIONARY GRANTS = 9.90%
- MANDATORY GRANTS = 20% (short courses, in-house training and skills programs).
SETA's will monitor and evaluate documents.
IMPACT: Mandatory Grant changes from 50% to 20% (the other 30% going towards PIVOTAL)
TRAINING: QUANTITY DOES NOT EQUAL QUALITY
Stricter regulations exist:
- Training committees have serious work to do.
- This should be done in the interest of labour and business owners.
- Forums - debates, discussions, planning of training needs to be done in more detail.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS FOR A TRAINING COMMITTEE TO BE CONSTITUTED:
- 2 people representing Management
- 2 people representing Employees
- It is suggested that the Employee reps also represent the Union (where and if possible)
- BD SKILLS drives the process combined with the training / EE Committee
FUNCTIONS OF THE TRAINING COMMITTEE:
- Review the current Training Policy.
- Workplace Skills Plan must be aligned to the business needs - vision, mission, goals and priorities of each division
- Content of the WSP must also be aligned to the Business Plan and very importantly it must be aligned to the EE Goals and Targets
- Training priorities - Long and short term (long term training is training longer than 6 months).
- Align training to SETA Sector Skills Plan
- Planned Training should lead to an accredited national qualification or part there of.
- Promote Pivotal training programmes including Learnerships, Apprenticeships and other qualifications as a training delivery mechanism.
- Communicate the WSP with the other employees in the company (committee minutes on the notice boards, management meetings).
- Monitor implementation of the Workplace Skills Plan periodically & revise the contents of the WSP as required - as and when the needs of the business change.
HOW CAN BD SKILLS ASSIST YOU :
- BD SKILLS can assist in doing a needs analysis, including a current skills audit.
- BD SKILLS can assist in vision and mission statements.
- BD SKILLS can assist you with your business strategy.
- BD SKILLS can assist you with your business goals.
- BD SKILLS can assist you with skills planning. This includes SETA REPORTS annually.
- BD SKILLS can assist with training analysis.
- BD SKILLS can assist you with the set-up of your training committee.
- BD SKILLS can assist you with training the training committee.
- BD SKILLS can assist you with guidance and support of all areas of your training committee and legal compliance aspects.
For more information or a service quote please contact us.